Friday, August 13, 2010

late night wandering

Tonight was the night to watch the Perseid meteor shower, the night when you would see the most spectacular show of lights.  So of course, since it also happened to be the last night we were all together, we went out in the dark in search of stars.  I did see our sickle moon before it set, and I got to watch Mars and Venus cross each other in the eastern sky, but alas no shooting stars.  It was perhaps too early still, but we had our mother with us, and I didn't want to keep her out in the cool air.  So I took these photos instead, of our first scouting location at Torrey Pines State Beach.  I used to go here when I was still in high school.  There is only a little traffic as nobody comes here unless they're gonna make out. Or if they want to sit at the end of the world and contemplate then end of the world.  There is still a little bit of editing I want to do on the series of photos I took this evening, but I really like this shot looking north along the coast.  That bright light is from the headlights of passing cars, and the breakers down below look like thick fog.  I love coming home and spending time with family, and going to places where you can enjoy a little of nature's beauty in the dark.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely, Viv! Sorry I forgot the bag with the lights in it. Next time?

    ReplyDelete