Wednesday, August 4, 2010

the first instrument I learned to play

99.5% pure silver
still has that silvery sweet sound













cleaning out my apartment was like opening a time capsule.  I went there looking for photos, I came out of there with two musical instruments I'd forgotten about.  First I found my ukulele; yes, I have one, and was pleased to find that I could still play it, though the a string keeps going flat.  The second thing I found was my flute.  I thought it was gone for good.  The year I turned 30, my sister and I took a trip to Spain, left our apartment in the care of my boss' cousin.  While we were overseas, we checked in with him to see how things were going, and he brought up my flute, asked if he could buy it from me.  I said no, it wasn't for sale, and when we got back I could not find it.  And Daniel was already at the airport on his way home to Galway.  I assumed the worst, had a serious falling out with my boss, and kissed the thought of my flute goodbye forever.  So when I found this sweet silver thing hiding in the back of my closet, I let out such a sound of surprise and delight, I think I scared Big Ern :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment