Friday, July 30, 2010

say hello to my little friend

I met Ernie a decade ago, when we both worked at the Daly City Trader Joes.  He was quiet, shy, very involved with work.  This past week, I spent a little time with him, getting my stuff out of the apartment he sublet from me, the one I am now giving up.  He told me to come over at 7am, a little early considering he worked till 11 the night before, so I showed up and rang the bell.  He came to the door, his hair was like that claymation HeatMiser dude from the Year Without a Santa Claus, and his tattoos were showing.  What??  He didn't have any when I met him, so I asked him to show me.  It's pretty extensive, covering both upper arms and his chest.  And he isn't done yet.  His artist lives in Hawaii, so on his next trip out he'll have the rest of his left tricep, his entire right arm, and possibly his right leg.  He's a madman!  But, he's also the coolest filipino dude I know.  Just like me, he doesn't fit the stereotype, and I am so sad that he is leaving the Bay Area.  But, I am really glad that he is moving back home, to take care of his mother and of his son.  I used to ask him all the time why he lived up here, he never had a good reason other than he just needed to find a little bit of himself.  He is much happier now, I think he's found what he was looking for, and now he's ready to go home.  Good luck to my good friend Big Ern, I can't wait to see the rest of his tattoo.



right arm (creation/self)
bull horns
left arm (mandala)

1 comment:

  1. Wow, he sure doesn't look like what I remember. Nice tatts!, but wot up wid d blond hair, man! You are right though, he looks a lot happier, less conservative than before. Good for him! I mourn our old apt on La Playa. That was just the beginning of our adventure in SF 16 years ago.

    ReplyDelete