Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Frank update

Winter has been hard on this poor old man. Arthritis, stiffness, cold unforgiving weather, sometimes a dog's life isn't easy.

It's hard to tell what is going on with him. I can't tell you how many times I've wished he could talk so he could tell me what he needs.

There are a few things he emotes that I understand. Pee and poo, pineapple, breakfast and dinner, play time, those are the easy ones. I just wish I knew where it hurt, if the acupuncture treatments help, when he needs me to hold and comfort him.

It's so easy to deal with humans, even people who have a hard time expressing themselves know how to ask for comfort and love.

I can't seem to be able to tell if my dog, my finest friend, my good buddy wants or needs those things from me.

So the best that I can do is give him what I can see he wants, ie food, outdoor breaks, play time. As for the rest, the best I can do is shower him with love, give him my undivided attention, and make sure he gets loving touches whenever he seeks me out.

In today's photo, this is Frank crashed out on his living room bed, surrounded by his favorite purple toys.


2 comments:

  1. Yeah, there are so many times when he was here that I wish he could talk. When he was a puppy, it was because I wanted to know what was going on in that little puppy head of his - why did he chew that cassette tape and golf ball?, what did he really think of Yoshi?, what is he thinking when we leave him in the car and he sits in the drivers' seat? I always imagined he sounded like the 'Moose' character from the Archie comics.
    The weeks before I brought him up to SAC last year, it was more like does he want to die?, why didn't he let me know he had to go out?, does he like his food?, does he know what makes him itch so much?, is he unhappy?
    Then I remember the younger, happier times, like when he'd pick out a new toy at the pet store or at Noah's after a bath.
    Oh, buddy. I hope you feel better soon. Do something funny to make Viv and James smile, will you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can't believe we are coming up on a year that he's been here. i remember writing at one point that i didn't think he would make it to his 14th birthday.
    i won't write an update or post a photo because he's looking not so good. there have been mosquitoes around in the evenings, and he was eaten alive. poor thing was so itchy he made his bald spot super huge. it runs from his ribcage to his hip.
    to his credit, he has been in a really good mood. wants to play all the time. and he turns up his nose at dog biscuits, will only accept banana chips and apple rings. weird dog.

    ReplyDelete