Sunday, July 24, 2011

wanderlust

every once in a while, i come across an old photo.  each one is a touchstone, something that brings back all the feelings and emotions from the moment the scene was captured.


i really can't tell if that is me or if it's Flo, but the point is that when this photo was taken, we were on a road trip in the middle of Spain.  It was summer time, hot as hell, and our rental (which you can see on the left) was TINY!  That is a dirt road we are on, one of many side trips we took, and i remember thinking to myself, "Spain looks a lot like SoCal, did I really spend $1000 to see scenery that I could see at home?  Oh hell yeah, I'm in Spain!"

in less than six months, i turn 40, and more than anything in the world I want to travel.  I don't care where, I just want to feel the same wonder and awe I felt in all those countries I've visited with Flo.  And nothing less than a 10 hour plane ride will suffice.  there is no better feeling than the freedom that comes with being far from home with only yourself and your sister to care about.  nothing compares to that sense of "anything could happen, amazing sights will be seen, cool photos will be taken, delicious food and wine will be consumed, and memories will be made". 

how in the world will i save up $1000 to take a dream trip to celebrate my birthday and indulge my wanderlust?

2 comments:

  1. how will both of us save up that much money?!? but, it isn't too late to start planning for it. maybe we should fly to the other side of the equator, make sure the weather is nice and warm - less clothing to pack!

    I can't remember or tell which one of us is in this photo either. I do remember that dreadful car though - no a/c, driving through winding roads in the dark with the trees and bushes reaching into the passenger's window.... listening to that depeche mode tape we bought at the carrefour (did i spell that right???). I so miss the travel adventures, and all the photo ops. we need to get out of this country for your bday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yes, the Carrefour! the Euro Target! i also miss the marzipan, serrano ham, fresh bread, heck i even have a good laugh over the belly troubles. so many cool memories that bring a smile to my face! even the not so good ones, like almost getting kicked out of the Louvre, finding Le Chat Noire in Monmartre and getting yelled at by the proprietor for taking photos, having no clothing the first three days we were in Madrid, being confused about the time of day, sleeping outside of the bus station after a soccer match because we missed the last one back to our hotel...all of it adds up to great memories.

    ReplyDelete