Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Two elderly ladies

People watching is a favorite pastime. I tend to blend into the background of most situations, so its rather easy to satisfy my curiosity without changing the dynamics of a situation.

Today at lunch in the sterile cafe at work (this place is so ugly, I really don't like eating there but the most self involved people never see the somewhat juvenile decor, so the sterility of this place never bothers them), these two ladies took a seat in front of me. At first, I pegged them as friends, wasn't really looking at them but rather passively listening to their banter. One came in first, to order food for two, and the other showed up and sat down with 6 packages of newly developed film, negatives and all.  It was the sound of her opening that first package that caught my full attention, and I hate to admit that from my seat I spied on their photos.

Their food was ready, so the first lady came to sit at the table, and that's when I noticed they were sisters, confirmed by further conversation of daughters and nieces.  And then, on closer inspection, I discovered they were twins. Suddenly all these questions exploded in my head. I wanted to break into their conversation, ask them millions of questions, interrupt their meal and ogle their photos. 

I suddenly pictured a future similar situation, one where I sat down with my own sister, the one who got me interested in photography, and we laughed about the exploits of our family and cackled over photos from our last trip together. I could see me and Flo, thirty years from now acting out this very scene in front of some stranger that was taking place in front of me in this cafe. And I even pictured that stranger having his or her own flash forward to some future meeting with a sibling.

Then my alarm went off and the spell was broken. Once again, these to ladies were just a couple of gals having lunch together.


1 comment:

  1. LOL - the second I saw 'six packages of newly developed film', I thought of us picking up our developed travel pictures from the SoMa CostCo, and looking at everything over hot dog combos, a couple slices o' combo pizza, and soft serve ice cream. Those were the days. Still feel bad that we didn't go back in time to pick up the last batch of photos from our last trip.....gosh, I can't even remember where we went on that trip, was that the first or second trip to Spain? We really have to travel abroad again, soon. How about your 40th?!?

    ReplyDelete