Sunday, March 25, 2012

Babies, parents....

Im just an observer of course. I decided a long time ago that I would only have a kid if I had the kind of life that would allow me to really raise a kid. That means financial stability, a strong sense of who I am, and a partner who wanted a family with me. Well, I have one of those things, and these conditions I made for myself are non negotiable. And though I feel myself really wanting one, I know it just is not in the cards for me.

That being said, I seem to be surrounded by babies. Good for me, I can get my baby fix :-) And it seems that the people who are having kids are all in really good places. Good money coming in, helpful extended family,  partners who are  100% into raising healthy well rounded kids.

Except for the odd encounter, like today. I overheard a young father talking about how holding his baby girl while playing xbox is his idea of quality time. How he will not hold his tongue, will curse in front of his daughter because he can teach her that that is grown up talk. This does not strike me as the kind of man who makes a good father. Yes, teach your children right from wrong, but how can you do that if you don't know the difference? Cursing isn't exactly bad, but kids ought to learn the right way to communicate what they want and need, to work out for themselves how they need to speak on order to get what they want, not how to express frustration or aggression as a means of getting what they want through intimidation.

It's always one person who just ruins my faith in people.

No comments:

Post a Comment