Monday, May 14, 2012

WWWTF

WorldMark, Wyndham, What the F

i am too much of a loser.  for the last 14 years, maybe more or less, i can't remember, we've owned vacationing spots through WorldMark.  It's funny, but some of my friends went to work for them, and have all retired on the backs of people like me who are hopeful enough in our ability to get away and vacation.  In those 14 years or so, we've used this less than five times.  Why?  Because there were no spots in places we went, and we ended up paying cash rather than utilizing a resource we already own.

Later on this year, we are trying to get the family together again to celebrate my sister's 50th birthday. I went to our "time share" site to find a place we could all get to.  We thought Hawaii would be awesome, but not everyone can get there footing a $700 plane fare.  It would be even MORE difficult for my brother and his brood of four boys.  And that's when I saw the opportunity to buy into TravelShare.



This is part of the merge between WorldMark and Wyndham resorts.  At this moment, we have access to a limited number of Wyndham resorts, but adding credits would open up all Wyndham resorts.  In addition to the extra Wyndham resorts, we would have access to an exchange system through RCI which would offer up 700 of their best rated resorts and NovaSol, which offers vacation residences, upwards of 30,000 properties spread out all over Europe.  And, we can use our credits for cruises, or to pay for plane fare. 

The bottom line?  $10,000.  Holy crap.  That's a big pill to swallow.  If we finance in-house, and put down $1100, our monthly payment for the next 5.5 years would be $135, plus $100 for maintenance.  Rounding up, it would end up being $120/month split between us, and since I like to pay money right out of each pay day, I'd be paying $60 from each paycheck.  Taking on an extra $60 a paycheck won't be hard, but it might be for my partner in crime, so I was considering bringing in our other sister as a silent partner. 

but that would open up a whole can of worms.  She wouldn't have controlling interest in our investment, I would.  The only time I use it is to go on vacation with Flo or the whole family.  I have a feeling she would use it just for herself.

So should I take the risk and ask her?

1 comment:

  1. Uh, no way. Please do not get a silent partner involved. How on earth do you split that anyway? She should not have any access to the credits the two of us paid for together. And if one of us passes, she better not get any part of the credits that dead person had paid for. This is not a good idea. Don't do it.

    ReplyDelete