i'll admit it, i love my gadgets and electronics. who doesn't? i think i might go far beyond lover of gadgetry, i think i am addicted to and hopelessly bound to my junk.
this past week, i lost my car (temporarily), i'm about to lose my ipod (due to faulty battery), and today my TV crapped out. the first two things i can deal with, they are both temporary hiccups in my otherwise steady gadget/tool stream. but the loss of my TV is devastating. here i sit on my couch, laptop on my lap, and i catch myself looking over at the TV to see what is on (nothing) or reaching for the remote (rendered useless). it will take a while to get used to having no audio/visual stimulation via picture box, so i've decided to pull all my favorite books out of the garage and reread them, just to keep my eyes busy.
i am a voracious reader in the absence of television, so at least i will be properly entertained, but what to do when i just can't take in anymore information from that particular media? i probably shouldn't be worried, reading is a whole different kind of stimulation, more imaginary than visual. and there is real pleasure in shopping for pulp, because in the absence of audio stimulation, tactile sensation becomes more important. i am the sort of person to run my fingers along the spines of books, to touch the pages with loving caresses. i dog ear, i write love notes to myself in the margins, heck i even enjoy the smell of paper.
so what the heck am i doing wasting my time here on blogger? off i go to find my friends charles bukowski, haruki murakami, piers anthony, gary larsen, christopher moore, vladimir nabokov, perhaps some voltaire, and maybe just maybe i'll dig out one of those smutty books too.

So you wont be buying a new TV? Target has some good deals on full HD TVs. And in a few hours, so will BestBuy and some other places.
ReplyDeleteBooks. I like to buy books, I just never seem to get around to reading them. Some how I got through the Hunger Games trilogy last summer - oh yeah, I was in isolation for most of that. But anyway, good for you for getting back into the reading.
Yeah, I looked at those, but I think I will pass. I am dead set on not spending any money tomorrow, not even for food. It would be so awesome to have a WiFi enabled TV, but it isn't a necessity.
ReplyDelete